Thursday 8 March 2018

TANIA BEAN: SAMMARINESE RESPECT FOR THE PLANET

Tania Bean with Rhini and his pumpkin
Tania Bean. Veterinary. San Marino.

I'm Tania Bean. I was born in San Marino, the oldest European republic and one of the smallest European countries. I studied to be a veterinary. I love animals and it's a great responsibility for me to take care of their lives and try to improve the quality of them. I believe animals must live in their own environments but if they are under the danger of extinction, we must protect them even if is offering them other places to live. The UNO says that 150 species disappear every day because of the human actions. It's a drama that we must stop. Remember: Recycle. Renovate. Re-use. And the most important "R". RESPECT.

 

-Good morning, Tania Bean and thanks to attend us.

-Good morning. It's a pleasure.

-You're a special doctor because your patients can't speak. How do you discover their pains?

-Well. It's long to explain but I try to explain it in a short way: animals don't speak using words but they speak to us using other ways. Non-verbal communication is very important in these cases. Animal psychology.
 
-Do you believe that psychology helps medicine?

-Of course, I believe it and not only with animals. It's exactly the same with humans. You must have a good attitude in front of diseases and illnesses because if you fall down in depressive thoughts, then you will have two problems: your disease and your brain.

-How important is our brain?

-The brain is the most important part in an animal because it controls everything. The brain is a mix of neurological connections and if there is a problem with one of them, the body won't be fine. It's science.

-Which is your favourite scientific?

-I like Arnau de Vilanova. He was the most important doctor in the Middle Age. We don't know where he was born but some clues say that he was from Lleida because he defined himself like Arnaus Ilerdensis. Arnau de Vilanova was the first to write a book about medical treatments. It was Regimen Sanitatis ad regem Aragonum and he was known like the doctor of the kings and the popes. Arnau talked Catalan, Latin, Occitan, Italian, Arabian, Greek and Hebrew. Nowadays, the most important hospital in Lleida is named Arnau de Vilanova in his honour.

-The Middle Age is far away. Could you talk me about a modern scientific?

-Manel Esteller. He was born in Sant Boi de Llobregat and he works on the field of epigenetics in health and disease. He's the Director of the Cancer Epigenetics and Biology Program (PEBC) of the Bellvitge Institute for Biomedical Research (IDIBELL), Leader of the Cancer Epigenetics Group, Professor of Genetics in the School of Medicine of the University of Barcelona, and Research Professor at the Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies (ICREA). 

-What do you think is the big discovering in medicine?

-Medicine has had lots but I think in the Swiss physician Friedrich Miescher, who discovered DNA and it was first isolated in 1869. Genetics is the clue that can help traditional medicine to improve treatments. All things that help in human medicine help in animal one.

-Which is your advice for a newcomer vet?

-S/He should follow the scientific methods without forgetting traditional ones and, of course, s/he must love and respect animals.

-How do you feel being a member of The Beans?

-Wow. We're a fantastic family and I feel very well with them. They are funny and honest. I was one of the last members to join the family but it wasn't a problem. i was totally accepted by all of them.

-How is a normal day with The Bonds?

-We haven't got a standard day. Every day is different because every day offers you the possibility of doing different things and this is fantastic because you aren't bored.
 
-How long have you been studying English?

-Since I was in the Primary School. In San Marino, we speak Italian. Although we are the oldest European republic, we have a parallel history with Italy and a lot of citizens of my country emigrated to the USA during the hard days of wars, depression and poverty. The ties that join us with them are the most important reason because of we also speak English, to be in contact with American Italian people.

-What can you explain about your life with The Beans?

I have spent incredible moments with this family. We have laughed a lot and it has been a fantastic experience living with them. They are funny and honest and very hard workers.

-Which is your best memory with the family?

-It's difficult to choose only one but I suppose that the day when I participated in the TV Show Password. I was very nervous but I knew they were there supporting me and that was enough to relax and offered the best of me.

-You like reading, don't you? Recommend me a book...

-I'm reading two books: one is about the uncertain origins of Málaga, a beautiful Andalusian city who I adore. The book talks about the different influences of Phoenician, Semitic and Arabian cultures over the city; the other is about rhinos. Rhini, our pet, is an amazing rhino who travels with us around the world and he needs special attentions. I'm very interested in knowing more things about African and Asian animals because they are very interesting to study.

-How can you define yourself with only a sentence?

-I'm a Bean.

-Thank you very much, Tania Bean.

-Thanks to you. Ciao!


My mom was a rescue veterinarian, and I grew up helping 
her nurse injured animals back to health. Any deer hit by a car, fox caught in a trap, whatever it was that got hurt, 
everyone brought them to my mom. 

Johnny Iuzzini

No comments:

Post a Comment