Friday 9 March 2018

NEREYDA BEAN: CYPRIOT RESILIENCE TO SURVIVE

Nereyda Bean inside a regular flight to Cyprus
Nereyda Bean. Flight Attendant. Cyprus.

I'm Nereyda Bean. I was born in Dali, a little town in Cyprus, an incredible Mediterranean country which is a cultural border between Occident and Orient. It's not easy living in an island and the most part of its inhabitants emigrate to search a better future. During this travel with my family, I have discovered my ancestors came from Dominican Republic to Cyprus, from island to island. I'm very hard worker and a little shy the most common characteristics of islanders.


-Good morning, Nereyda Bean, and thanks to attend us.

-Thanks. It's an honour.

-Well, to start with our interview, I would like to ask you if you can explain something about your job.

-Yes, of course. I'm a flying attendant, a person who attends people in a plane and take care of them. It's an amazing job that I love although it's sometimes a little horrible.

-Why was horrible?

-Because I'm scared to fly. The most terrible moments for me are when the plane is lifting off or landing. After these movements, I can work without any kind of problem because the plane is stabilized.

-How have you got over these fears?

-With a lot of effort and being conscious that you can be stronger than your own fears. Everybody has his/her demons in her/his life but we must fight against them or learn to live with them. There isn't another option.

-What do you think people know about flight attendants?

-Well, some years ago it was one of the best jobs you could have. The salary was excellent, the breaks allowed you to visit some places and it was a job with high levels of reputation. With the arrival of low cost companies all has changed. Salaries have decreased in an incredible way, you must work lots of hours without breaks and the labour conditions are worse than never but when you love your job you try to not think in disadvantages and enjoy the advantages.

-Is a flight a profession of risk?

-All works have risk. Risk zero doesn't exist in life but it's obviously that there's a great risk although flights are now more secure than never.

-Have you put your life in danger working like a flight attendant?

-No, I haven't. I only remember a time when I put my life in danger and it was because a passenger started to joke about security inside the plane and the rest of the crew and passengers believed him. You must pay attention with jokes because you can create panic situations and these kinds of situations are very difficult to control.

-How do you feel being a member of The Beans?

-I feel very well. We're a fantastic family with open minds and a great sense of respect and collaboration, something very important for surviving like a group.

-How is a normal day with The Beans?

-I don't know if we can talk about normal days because first of all we must define normal. If normal means that you're always doing the same routines, well, we aren't a normal family, then. We like innovation, creativity and we have tons of imagination.

-How long have you been studying English?

-Since the school. Cyprus was under British control from 1878 to 1960 when it becomes an independent state. English is a part of our recent culture and although British left the island, we kept their language because it was interesting for us. Remember, English is the world communication language.

-Is English difficult to learn for a Cypriot?

-No, it isn't. In Cyprus, we speak four languages: Greek, Armenian, Arabian and Turkish. As you know, the island is divided in two different zones, two languages, two cultures, two religions... but Cyprus is an important geopolitical place in the Mediterranean Sea and we have been occupied by Mycenae, Egyptians, Phoenician, Greek, Assyrian, Persian, Roman, Byzantine, Arabian, Venetian and British.

-What can you explain about your life with The Beans?

-For me has been a great experience. It has been beautiful share time and experiences with this family and thanks to this I have discovered my sinister origin and how my surname can determinate my origins. I know I was born in Dali but my origins are Dominican. It has been a great discovery.

-Which is your best memory with the family?

-A lot of memories but I remember especially two of them: the first was when I talked to my family about my ancestor origins in Dominican Republic; and the second was when I decided to make some Dominican food to my family. It was delicious and all of them appreciated it.

-And the worst?

-Well, without any kind of doubt when I disappear in Hudson Bay in New York. It was horrible. The family went to visit the Liberty Statue and our boat sunk. I don't remember anything, only water and water and nothing more. It was a terrible experience. I spent terrible moments but I think that being an islander helped me to survive. Sea respected me.

-What title would you choose for your family?

-Flying to reach our dreams.

-Do you like this message?

-Yes, I do. You must try to reach your dreams and fly as far as you can but you mustn't forget that as high as you fly, as hard the landing can be. Follow your dreams but with honesty and remember your origins. Don't live in a cloud, live in the real world, where things really happen.

-Thank you very much, Nereyda Bean.

-You're welcome.


It's only when you're flying above it that you realize 
how incredible the Earth really is. 

Philippe Perrin

No comments:

Post a Comment