Thursday 8 March 2018

CAROL BEAN: MALTESE CREATIVITY IN DRAWINGS

Carol Bean visiting The Playmobil FunPark
Carolina Bean, Illustrator, Malta.

I'm Carolina Bean. I'm a member of The Beans family. I'm an illustrator. I was born in Ħal Tarxien, Malta, a beautiful island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, witness of the European history. I studied Illustration and Arts in La Valetta and I went to Rome to continue my formation. My family is my best inspiration because every one of them is different and this offers to me the possibility of creating different characters and idiosyncrasies. My dream is to publish an illustrated novel about The Beans.
 

-Good morning, Carolina Bean, and thanks to attend us.

- Good morning. It's a pleasure.

-Well, to start this interview I would like to know how you define yourself.

-I'm an illustrator, a person who draws pictures, especially comics and tales. I create art.

-Some people don't believe in these activities like art ones. How can you explain them to them?

-Well, I think that the first and most important thing is how we can define art. For me, art is any kind of human expression and it also must have a critical component to remove consciences, but it's my point of view. Comic is art and every time is more appreciated by the consumers, who are more exigent and critic and discover how we can create opinion thanks to our drawings and stories.

-Which is your source of inspiration?

-I think it's impossible to have only one. An artist is the result of lots of influences and in my case is not an exception but if I had to choose one, something that is very difficult, I would like to talk about Mafalda, the cleverest Argentinian child.

-How do you feel being a member of The Bean's family?

-Well, they are a great family full of creativity and imagination. For me, they're great artists and masters in their professions. They're like a Pantone template: all are different, even some of them share ideas and feelings, they have different tones and the totality of them creates a wonderful and unforgettable composition. All of them are important for the rest and the final creation is not complete if all of them aren't there.

-How is a normal day with The Beans?

-We haven't got a normal day although we have a little habit: we try to learn and review some English meanwhile we travel around the world.

-How long have you been studying English?

-Since I was in the school. I'm from Malta and my mother tongue is Maltese but Malta was a British colony and English is still very important for Maltese people. For other hand, our country is formed by three islands and being an islander creates in you a special character because, sometimes, you can feel yourself a little isolated from the rest of the world and you must open your mind and your space far away to be connected with other communities and, nowadays, English is the best tool to be communicated.

-Then, you speak two languages? 

-Well, in fact, I speak three: Maltese, English and Italian. The Italian community is very important in Malta, perhaps, because we are closer neighbours and knowing Italian is the most common for a great part of Maltese people. I also studied in Rome and then, this fact helped me to learn the language.

-Malta is one of the smallest countries around the world and you have a rich cultural past. What can you explain about it?

-Islands are very important in the European history. We have been very important to protect and conserve cultures and people who escaped and exiled from prosecutions and wars. As an island, you're exposed to be occupied by the dominant empire and we're the result of lots of dominant empires. Our culture and character is a mix of all of them and we are very proud of it. The most ancient prehistoric European ruins are in Malta:
Ħaġar Qim, Menajdra and the Ħal-Saflieni Hypogeum. We are the land of the Order of the Knights of Saint John and our capital, La Valetta, is considered a Human Heritage by the UNESCO as the prehistorical ruins. For other hand, our connection with the Catalan-Aragonese Crown offered to us the possibility of being one of the most important and commercial places across the Mediterranean sea and this fact helped to grow as a rich and powerful country. And...don't forget that Malta is the headquarters of Playmobil.

-How can a Maltese illustrator arrive to success?

-You must work very hard and never give up.

-Which was your best experience with The Beans?

-Well, staying with them is a great experience. The family is a group of people very qualified who have offered their best to the common success but if I had to choose one, perhaps, when we stayed in New York and they gave me enough time to work alone in Central Park. It's very important that people know when you need your own space and time to find yourself, especially for an artist. All of us need our space and our time to achieve our personal dreams and goals and this doesn't mean that you don't need other people's help, no. This means that, sometimes, it's good to have enough time to be alone, take enough forces and start again in the searching of your dreams and objectives.

-Which is your dream?

-Life is a race. You must continue to reach the next objective but without forgetting who you are and where you come from. Everyone will continue her/his path but I hope being in touch with the rest of the family. My personal dream is to publish an illustrated novel about The Beans. They deserve it. They're great and unforgettable.

-What kind of thing would you like to draw in your future works?

-I don't think about personal and future projects. I prefer thinking about the present. For me future is present because you only can try to change your future if you do something in your present. If I think like a member of a community, I would like the end of all the wars, obviously. The possibility of living in a better world with no violence and with respect, a society full of work and opportunities to the people who want to reach them is something very important to me.

-Which is your favourite song?

-I haven't got a especial one but I'm a fan of Brazilian music.

-Brazilian?

-Yes. I believe that Brazilian culture offers an incredible point of view about how to live in a complicated world enjoying every minute of your life. One of the most especial moments for me with The Beans was when I could explain to them some things about Brazilian culture in general and Rio de Janeiro in particular.

-Do you like this message?

-Yes. It's my lifestyle. Enjoy whatever you do. Do it with passion as Brazilian people do. Live as passionately as you can and don't forget to help your friends and relatives when they need it.

-Thank you very much, Carol Bean.

-You're welcome.


Isn't it incredible all that a pencil can have inside?

Joaquín Salvador Lavado, Quino

No comments:

Post a Comment