Friday 9 March 2018

ÓSCAR BEAN: BELGIAN CONTRUCTION FOR THE FUTURE

Óscar Bean and R2D2 in Lego bricks
Óscar Bean. Lego Tester. Belgium.

I'm Óscar Bean. I was born in Bruges, Flanders, Belgium. I'm a Lego Tester. I love creating new constructions and thinking in improving them. I started playing with Lego when I was a child and I realized what I wanted to be. I believe that a toy must be something creative which was useful not only to children but for adult and even the eldest people. Playing is a good way to learn. It's something that I have done with my family, The Beans. We have been learning English meanwhile we have been playing with lots of games. Enjoy the game! You're the winner!
 

-Good morning, Óscar Bean, and thanks to attend us.

-Good morning. Thanks to you.

-Well, as I have seen you're a Lego Tester.

-Yes. It's a fantastic job. I started being a fan of Lego and nowadays it's my profession.

-When did your hobby about Lego start?

-Mmmm. It's not a hobby. It's my work and I live it with passion. I'm Flemish. We have lots of things in common with Dutch people who have constructed incredible things like the canals in Amsterdam and with German people, who are the best European in technology. They have been great influencers in our culture along the history.

-You're a Flemish. How's life living in a border?

-It's very interesting because you receive influences of both sides. In my case three sides: French spoken Belgian people, Germany and Netherlands.

-Then, you've a little part of all of them...

-Not exactly. I'm Flemish. Belgium isn't a big state but we are two big different communities: Flemish and Walloons. Living in diversity is growing in knowledge.

-You were born in Bruges. You must enjoy art and culture every day.

-Flemish culture was one of the most important during the Middle Age and the Renaissance. We were a great influence for the rest of European communities. Now, the capital of Vlaanderen is Brussels, which is also the capital of the European Union. We continue being important for Europe, don't we?

-How is the life of a Lego tester?

-A normal life. I must be very tidy and organized because is very difficult to make a good Lego. You need concentration, patience a lot of knowledge about Mathematics and Architecture. In fact, you're an architect because you create and construct buildings.

-Which is your favourite Lego?

-I love all of them but I like the reproduction of R2D2 in real scale. It's amazing.

-R2D2?

-Yes. He's the most important character in Star Wars Saga. He always appears in the best moment to rescue the main characters and he's able to understand all of his friends and be understood by all of them, although he speaks a robot language. R2D2 is like an alarm clock. He's always ready to notice you about danger. He's the real linchpin in Star Wars plot.

-Why do you think Lego is one of the richest enterprises around the world?

-They offer a great product. For one hand you can create a reproduction of one concrete figure but, for other hand, you can create your own constructions. It's an extemporal toy because it can be used by different generations and by people of different ages. It's a successful product because offers the possibility of doing things whatever you want, following your rules and giving to your brain the possibility of being as creative as you imagine. It's a fantastic toy, one of the most educational and amazing.

-How do you feel being a member of The Beans?

-It has been a pleasure. It's a fantastic family and we've spent unforgettable moments together.

-How is a normal day with The Beans?

-The day starts with me. I'm the first person to wake up, get up and start to work. Later, step by step, the rest of the family starts to be ready.

-How long have you been studying English?

-Since I was in the school. We're a bilingual community and learning another language is easier for us. 

-Is English difficult for you?

-No, it isn't. English has its roots in German. Flemish is also a German language. It helps me to understand all grammar and syntax better because they have lots of things in common.

-What can you explain about your life with The Beans?

-We're a great family with a great sense of humour, very hard workers and with a great idea of responsibility. It's easy to stay with them. 

-Which is your best memory with the family?

-It's difficult to choose one but I remember with special emotion when we stayed in Georgetown University, in Washington DC. We were visiting the campus and i found a skeleton buried next to a tree. At the beginning I was shocked but after the first impression, but then the special unit of scientists arrived from the Jeffersonian. It was Dra Temperance Brennan and her team, the best of the world in forensic anthropology. For me, staying with them and watching their work was a masterclass that I will never forget. Never.

-Thank you very much, Óscar Bond.

-You're welcome.


For me, stories are like Lego blocks. 
If I don't put one down, I can't put the next one down. 

Om Malik

No comments:

Post a Comment