Wednesday 16 May 2018

JOAQUÍN JONES: GERMAN WINDS TO BUILD FUTURE

Joaquín Jones with his boat in Bremen, Germany
Joaquín Jones. Sailor. Germany.

I'm Joaquín Jones. I was born in Berlin when the city was divided in four parts: The American, the British, the French and the Russian one. I'm from the German Democratic Republic, a country that doesn't exist today. Living under the URSS was difficult because we hadn't got anything and we lived under a big poverty. I'm a sailor, a person who sails across seas and oceans. I like sea and the sound of silence.


-Good morning, Joaquín Jones and thanks to attend us.

-Good morning. It's an honour.

-How was life in the GDR?

-Difficult. It was very difficult. I think that this age influenced me a lot and, perhaps, this is the main reason about my job.

-Why?

-Because in the GDR you worked thousands of hours and you didn't earn a lot of money. When the wall fell, capitalism arrived to us and, although it isn't a perfect economic system and creates a lot of differences, it's better than living under the communism. 

-Do you miss anything about the GDR?

-Well, people were very educated and polite but I don't know if it was because of the control of the system over the citizens or because of the idiosyncrasy of the East German people.

-When did you decide to be a sailor?

-Since the moment I had enough conscience to realize I was living under a dictatorship in a city divided in four parts and separated by a long and high wall. I neede to feel freedom and being a sailor was a way to escape. Sea makes me happy and free.

-Sea is beautiful but very dangerous, isn't it?

-Nature is impossible to control even to predict. We can try to understand it but it isn't under our hands. It's powerful and dangerous but all has a meaning in it. This is dangerous but also wonderful. You must love it because if you love nature, you respect yourself as a part of it.

-Which is the best wind?

-The wind of change.

-Which is it?

-It's the wind that announces changes for the future that will improve our lives.

-It's beautiful.

-It's one of the most amazing songs of Scorpions, the German group from Hannover.

-How do you define yourself?

-I'm a person with an open mind who likes learning things and travelling around the world. We were prisoners too much time and we need open our mind and know other cultures and other people. We can learn a lot and offer our knowledge at the same time.

-Which is your favourite country?

-All of them. Every country has something to offer but if I have to choose, I like the USA because I'm in love with New York City and Ireland, because all the country is a fairy tale, but I also like Peru and the Pacific Islands.

-Have you visited these countries, then?

-Yes, all of them and every one has something special to remember. I have lots of memories and it's impossible to only talk about one.

-Which is the most dangerous sea animal for you?

-Well, it's difficult to choose only one but because I'm a sailor and I read Moby Dick dozens of times I agree with Captain Ahab. The White Whale is a kind of animal that impress me much.

-And sharks?

-When I remember the Pacific Ocean I think in sharks, especially in the whale shark which is in danger of extinction but also in the 250 other types which live in this ocean and eat fish, seals and crabs. I have respect for them.

-Are you proud of being German?

-It's a strange situation. We need at least two more generations to forget this terrible fact. The role of Germany in the WWII was terrible and we lived the consequences during many years.

-But now, Germany is the most powerful European country...

-I don't agree. I think that Norway, Luxembourg, Vatican City, Netherlands or even Andorra are better than us. Working on TV has showed me how important is marketing to promote your ideas. I think Germany is a big marketing campaign. Germany is a great industry for Europe but other countries have more power than us.

-Are you a sceptic?

-Yes, in some things that people accept without thinking twice, I often have other opinion.

-Why do you think people accept the official version so easily?

-I don't know. The influence of mass media over the population is huge. You can't trust on newspapers, TV or radio because they explain the reality that they want and they're interested in. If you say one lie thousands of times, finally, people will accept it like a truth.

-Which is the solution to fight against this?

-It's difficult. You can't live without trusting in anything or anybody but you can try to be critic and observe as things as you can before giving your opinion about something. You must listen to all versions and try to extract the real information which is hidden. We must be proactive citizens.

-How do you feel being a member of The Jones?

-Very well. It's an incredible experience. They are funny and we can talk about whatever we want without any kind of censorship and this create an open environment of trust and freedom.

-How is a normal day with The Jones?

-We haven't got similar days. Every day is different and this is something very important because it offers to you the possibility of living fantastic experiences every day and enjoy them with all your heart because you know that next day you're going to put the score to zero and we're going to start again. It's a non-stopping life.

-Which is your best memory with The Jones?

-It’s difficult to choose only one but I like every birthday and special day that we have celebrated.

-Which is your favourite colour?

-There’s a colour for every moment but if I had to choose one, perhaps blue, because is the sea colour.

-How long have you been studying English?

-I never studied English in the school. It was forbidden. We studied Russian and Spanish because we only could travel to the URSS and to Cuba. I started to learn English when the wall fell and I had the chance to travel.

-Was English difficult to learn?

-Not a lot. English and German have a lot of things in common. They're from the same linguistic family. Learning English wasn't necessary until we had the opportunity of travelling and have business with foreign enterprises.

-You like travelling. Recommend me a country...

-Peru. It's an amazing country full of kind people and ancient places where time seems to stop. One country that has more than 3,000 kinds of potatoes deserves all my respect. It's incredible.

-Do you like potatoes?

-Yes, I do. Although they aren't my favourite food, it's fantastic to eat some potatoes while you're drinking one of the best German beers.

-Which one?

-Whatever you want. All of them are good beers.

-And about food?

-Without any kind of doubt Ana Bean-Jones' cakes. They are delicious.

-Thank you very much, Joaquín Jones.

-You're welcome.


The wind of change
blows straight into the face of time
like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell
for peace of mind.

Scorpions

No comments:

Post a Comment