Thursday 25 May 2023

JOHNY GRANGER, ALWAYS READY TO CATCH THE WAVE

Johny Granger. Kiribatian. Surfer.

-Good morning, Johny Granger and thanks to attend us.

-Good morning. It's an honour.

-How is life in a Pacific island?

-Difficult. It is very difficult. I think that is something that has influenced me a lot and, perhaps, this is the main reason about my job.

-Why?

-Because you live in a little peace of land surrounded by sea, and this is an enormous border. You know your limits, and you have a great feeling of freedom and a desire of discovering new places.

-Do you miss anything about Kiribati?

-Well, people  are very kind and nice. The most important everywhere is always people.

-When did you decide to be a surfer?

-Since the moment I had enough conscience to realize I was living  in a little island. I needed to feel freedom and being a surfer was a way to search it. Sea makes me happy and free.

-Sea is beautiful but very dangerous, isn't it?

-Nature is impossible to control even to predict. We can try to understand it but it isn't under our hands. It's powerful and dangerous but all has a meaning in it. This is dangerous but also wonderful. You must love it because if you love nature, you respect yourself as a part of it.

-Which is the best wind?

-The wind of change.

-Which is it?

-It's the wind that announces changes for the future that will improve our lives.

-It's beautiful.

-It's one of the most amazing songs of Scorpions, the German group from Hannover.

-How do you define yourself?

-I'm a person with an open mind who likes learning things and travelling around the world. We were prisoners too much time and we need open our mind and know other cultures and other people. We can learn a lot and offer our knowledge at the same time.

-Which is your favourite country?

-All of them. Every country has something to offer but if I have to choose, I like the USA because I'm in love with New York City and Ireland, because all the country is a fairy tale, but I also like the Pacific Islands.

-Have you visited these countries, then?

-Yes, all of them and every one has something special to remember. I have lots of memories and it's impossible to only talk about one.

-Which is the most dangerous sea animal for you?

-Well, it's difficult to choose only one but because I'm a sufer and I read Moby Dick dozens of times I agree with Captain Ahab. The White Whale is a kind of animal that impress me much, but in the Pacific, you must be careful with sharks.

-Sharks?

-When I remember the Pacific Ocean I think in sharks, especially in the whale shark which is in danger of extinction but also in the 250 other types which live in this ocean and eat fish, seals and crabs. I have respect for them. I don't think it is a dangerous animal except if you disturb it or if it is hungry.

-Are you a skeptical about sharks' legends?

-Well, not only with sharks, also in some things when people accept without thinking twice, I often have other opinion.

-Why do you think people accept the official version so easily?

-I don't know. The influence of mass media over the population is huge. You can't trust on newspapers, TV or radio because they explain the reality that they want and they're interested in. If you say one lie thousands of times, finally, people will accept it like a truth.

-Which is the solution to fight against this?

-It's difficult. You can't live without trusting in anything or anybody but you can try to be critic and observe as things as you can before giving your opinion about something. You must listen to all versions and try to extract the real information which is hidden. We must be proactive citizens.

-How do you feel being a member of The Grangers?

-Very well. It's an incredible experience. They are funny and we can talk about whatever we want without any kind of censorship and this create an open environment of trust and freedom.

-How is a normal day with The Grangers?

-We haven't got similar days. Every day is different and this is something very important because it offers to you the possibility of living fantastic experiences every day and enjoy them with all your heart because you know that next day you're going to put the score to zero and we're going to start again. It's a non-stopping life.

-Which is your best memory with The Grangers?

-It’s difficult to choose only one but I remember when we arrived to New York and we took a ferry that had an accident and I disappeared during some hours in the sea. They didn't stop until they found me. This is the real meaning of a family.

-Which is your favourite colour?

-There’s a colour for every moment but if I had to choose one, perhaps blue, because is the sea colour.

-How long have you been studying English?

-I never studied English in the school, only creole, but if you live in the middle of the Pacific sea, the American influence is very high, and you learn by yourself.

-Was English difficult to learn?

-Not a lot. Learning English wasn't necessary until we had the opportunity of travelling and have business with foreign enterprises.

-You like travelling. Recommend me a country...

-San Marino. The world oldest Republic.

-What do you like to do?

-I like visiting museums. I like paintings, and Art in general.

-Recommend me a museum...

-MET in New York City and MNAC in Barcelona.

-Thank you very much, Johnny Granger.

-You're welcome.

More information: Cambridge Key Read/Write Sample Test


I just want to be able surf everything
-from big waves to small waves.

John John Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment