Thursday, 20 August 2026

SSC NAPOLI, 100 YEARS OF PASSION FOR FOOTBALL

Musings of The Grandma...
 
There are places we visit, places we live in, and places that somehow become part of our bloodstream. 
 
Napoli is one of those places for me.

I have always loved football. I played it for as long as the rules of my time allowed me to. In the 1980s, being a girl who wanted to play football was not exactly an easy thing. There were limits, prejudices and doors that were not always open to us. Eventually, the federation decided that my playing days had to come to an end. But they could never take football away from me. I needed it in my blood.

So, when I went to Napoli  to study, I did something that seemed completely natural to me: I became a season-ticket holder of Napoli. I was a Barça supporter and member, and I still am. But football has never been something I have understood as belonging exclusively to one club. It has always been a way of understanding people, cities and identities. And Napoli  taught me that lesson particularly well.

The stadium I knew was the Stadio San Paolo, in Fuorigrotta. Today it is called the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona, a name that could hardly be more appropriate for a place where football became part of the collective identity of an entire city. The stadium was inaugurated in 1959 and was renovated for the 1980 European Championship and the 1990 World Cup.

But statistics, dates and architectural facts tell only a small part of the story. A football stadium is not merely a building. Sometimes it is a city concentrated within concrete walls. And the Maradona is certainly one of those places.

In Napoli, football has never been merely about football. It is about pride, belonging, memory, disappointment, hope and, above all, identity. And nobody embodied that transformation more profoundly than Diego Armando Maradona.

For many Neapolitans, he was not simply a footballer who played for Napoli. He arrived at a moment when the city desperately needed to believe in itself and gave an entire generation something that football rarely gives: the feeling that history could finally belong to them. Maradona did not merely win matches. He restored pride. 

I have watched football in several European cities, and one of the things that fascinates me most is that the rules are identical everywhere, but the way people experience the game is completely different.

Napoli  is perhaps the most spectacular example. The Neapolitan supporter does not wait to see what happens. The Neapolitan supporter arrives already knowing how the match should feel. The noise begins before the first whistle. Songs, drums, flags, gestures, voices, smoke, colour. The emotion does not gradually build towards the climax. It starts at minute zero.

Napoli has a particular relationship with excess. Everything is intense: food, religion, music, grief, celebration, love, football. Perhaps this is also connected to the landscape itself. This is a city living beside Vesuvius, in a land shaped by earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and geological instability. Napoli has lived for centuries with the knowledge that permanence is an illusion. Perhaps that is why celebration can be so absolute. When Napoli won the Scudetto in 2023, the city exploded into celebration. Blue flooded the streets, balconies, squares and façades. Fireworks illuminated the night. The city did not simply celebrate a football championship. It celebrated itself.

Years later, my professional life took me to Lyon. And, once again, football followed me. I became a season-ticket holder of Olympique Lyonnais, although I was particularly fascinated by the women's team, which at that time was the dominant force in European women's football. The atmosphere was different. The passion was there, but it had another language. Lyonnais supporters seemed to me to reflect something of their city: resilient, disciplined, proud and persistent. They did not necessarily need to be the loudest people in the stadium. But they were there. From the first minute to the last. There is something deeply beautiful about that kind of support. It is not an explosion. It is endurance. And perhaps that is another Mediterranean lesson: passion does not always have to be loud to be profound.

Then came Montpellier. And, once again, football became a way of entering a city. Montpellier felt different again. There was something creative, ironic, irreverent and contradictory about its football culture. Perhaps that is partly what I associate with the wider Occitan world: a cultural tradition that has always valued individuality, language, intellectual freedom and a certain resistance to being neatly classified. The football reflected that impression. Not Napoli. Not Lyon. Something else. Another way of being Mediterranean.

Barcelona is my home in football. I'm Catalan. I am a Barça supporter and member, and the way I experience football is perhaps very different from the Neapolitan way. We can be passionate, certainly. But we are often more restrained. We appreciate good football. We want the team to play well. We admire creativity, intelligence, technique and collective movement. Sometimes we celebrate the result, but for many of us, the way the game is played matters enormously. Perhaps that is why Johan Cruyff became so important to Barcelona.

If Maradona restored pride to Napoli, Cruyff gave Barcelona a language through which to understand football. He transformed not only the way Barça played, but the way generations of supporters understood what football could be.

And so, after all these years, I find myself looking at football differently. Napoli taught me about passion. Lyon taught me about resilience. Montpellier taught me about creativity and irreverence. Barcelona taught me about ideas.

Four cities. Four cultures. Four ways of standing in a stadium and believing that the people around you are part of something larger than yourself. And yet, they are not really four separate worlds.

They are Mediterranean cities. They have ports. They have migration. They have memories of other cultures arriving by sea. They have languages shaped by centuries of contact. They know what it means to live beside the water and to look towards another shore.

Football does something remarkably similar. A ball crosses borders without needing a passport. A song can be understood without translation. A blue shirt, a red-and-blue shirt, a white-and-red shirt or a blaugrana shirt can become a second skin.

The rules are the same. The pitch is the same. The goalposts are the same. But the way we love the game is never the same.

And then I realised something. There is no single Mediterranean way of loving football. If you win, even better. If you don't, you competed and gave us a beautiful spectacle. That is the greatness of sport: competing. Winning is wonderful. But sport is greater than victory. You compete, you give your best, and you offer a spectacle to those who came to watch. That is the greatness of sport: competition. 

And perhaps there is one more reason why Napoli remains so special to me. When I was young, I wanted to play football. I played until they told me I could no longer do it. Decades later, I was standing in the San Paolo, watching Napoli, thousands of kilometres and many years away from that little girl who simply wanted to play. I sometimes wonder what she would have thought if someone had told her that one day she would live in Napoli, become a Napoli season-ticket holder and watch football in a stadium where an entire city had found one of its greatest symbols. She probably would not have believed it. But she would have understood one thing immediately. Football had followed her. And perhaps that is why I have never really stopped following it.

From Barcelona to Napoli. From Lyon to Montpellier. From one Mediterranean shore to another. Different languages. Different histories. Different ways of singing. But the same beautiful, irrational need to belong.

Because football does not merely unite cities. Sometimes, it teaches us how different cities can be united without becoming the same.

And that, perhaps, is one of the most Mediterranean things of all.

More information: SSC Napoli

Barcelona me abrió las puertas de Europa,
pero yo escribí mi historia en azul;
mi corazón está con el Nápoles.
 
Barcelona opened the doors of Europe to me, 
but I wrote my story in blue; 
my heart is with Napoli.

Diego Armando Maradona

No comments:

Post a Comment