Musings of The Grandma...
There are places that tell the history of a city. And then there are places that seem to tell the history of an entire sea. Castel Nuovo is one of them.
Standing beside the harbour of Napoli, the massive medieval fortress known as Maschio Angioino is impossible to ignore. Its towers, walls and monumental entrance have watched over the city for centuries, witnessing the rise and fall of dynasties, wars, earthquakes, political transformations and the endless movement of people across the Mediterranean.
But for me, Castel Nuovo has another meaning. Every time I see it, I see Napoli -but I also see Barcelona. Because carved into this fortress is part of a history that Napoli and the Crown of Aragon once shared. And perhaps this is one of the things I love most about the Mediterranean: our history has never respected modern borders.
When Castel Nuovo was built in the thirteenth century, Napoli was entering a new political era. Charles I of Anjou conquered the Kingdom of Sicily in 1266 and established Napoli as the centre of his continental kingdom. The old Norman-Swabian political order had been replaced by Angevin power, and a new royal residence was needed.
Castel Nuovo was therefore not conceived merely as a defensive fortress. It was a statement. The Angevin kings wanted a royal palace that would demonstrate the importance of Napoli as a political and cultural centre. Its position beside the sea was strategic, but it was also symbolic: the castle faced the Mediterranean, the great highway through which armies, merchants, artists, pilgrims and ideas had travelled for centuries.
Napoli was not a peripheral city. It was a capital. And for several centuries, the Kingdom of Napoli would remain one of the great political entities of medieval and early modern Europe.
The castle itself would change with the rulers who occupied it. The Angevins built it. The Aragonese transformed it. And that transformation is where my own story becomes entangled with the history of Napoli.
There is a Catalan-Aragonese connection. In 1442, Alfons V of Aragon conquered Napoli and entered the city as its new king. He was not simply another foreign ruler arriving in Napoli. He was a Mediterranean monarch whose domains connected territories separated by hundreds of kilometres of sea: the Crown of Aragon included the Kingdom of Aragon, the Principality of Catalonia, the Kingdom of Valencia, the Kingdom of Majorca and other territories across the Mediterranean.
Napoli consequently became part of a much larger Mediterranean political world. And Alfons understood perfectly the symbolic importance of Castel Nuovo. He transformed the Angevin fortress into an extraordinary royal residence and gave it one of the most magnificent entrances of the Italian Renaissance: the monumental triumphal arch built between the towers. It celebrates his arrival in Napoli. But it also tells us something fascinating about power in the fifteenth-century Mediterranean.
Look carefully at the decoration and you will find the heraldic language of the Crown of Aragon. The bars of Aragon, the Balears Islands, Catalunya and València are there in stone. For a Catalan visitor, there is something unexpectedly emotional about seeing them in Napoli. They are not a modern addition. They are not there because someone wanted to create a symbolic connection between Barcelona and Napoli centuries later. They are there because Barcelona, Napoli and the wider Mediterranean were once part of the same political and commercial world. The Mediterranean was not a frontier separating us. It was the road connecting us.
This is also why Castel Nuovo has always made me smile. When I lived in Napoli during my Erasmus years in the 1990s, I spent an enormous amount of time near the harbour. I needed the Mediterranean. I still do. I would walk towards the port, wander along the waterfront and simply watch the sea. Napoli was never just the city where I happened to be studying. It became a place that entered my emotional geography. And, somehow, my being Catalan became useful. When people at the port knew that I was Catalan, they would sometimes send me towards places connected with Catalan-speaking visitors. I remember thinking that it was rather funny. I had come from Barcelona to Napoli , and suddenly my identity as a Mediterranean person was becoming part of my everyday life.
But perhaps it shouldn't be surprising. The connection between Barcelona and Napoli is older than any modern idea of tourism. It belongs to a time when ships connected our cities, when merchants crossed the sea, when soldiers and sailors moved between ports, when kings ruled territories on both sides of the Mediterranean and when languages travelled with them.
The Napoli of the Aragonese period was a city of extraordinary ambition. Alfons V did not merely conquer Napoli. He wanted to make it one of the great cultural capitals of his world. His court attracted humanists, architects, artists and intellectuals. The city became an important centre of Renaissance culture, and Castel Nuovo became one of the great symbols of this transformation. The monumental triumphal arch is therefore more than an impressive doorway. It is propaganda carved in marble. It announces the arrival of a new king. It celebrates military victory. It associates Alfons with the traditions of ancient Rome. And it places Napoli within the cultural universe of the Renaissance.
Standing beneath it today, it is easy to forget how radical this transformation must have seemed. The medieval fortress had become a Renaissance royal palace. And Napoli had become the centre of a kingdom whose influence extended far beyond the walls of the city.
There is something deeply Mediterranean about this story. Barcelona and Napoli are separated by hundreds of kilometres, but the sea between them has always been a connection rather than a barrier. Both cities grew through their relationship with the Mediterranean. Both became major ports. Both received people, languages, religions, food, music and ideas from elsewhere. Both have been conquered and ruled by others. Both have suffered wars and bombardments. Both have rebuilt themselves. And both have populations who can be extraordinarily proud of their city -sometimes with a level of passion that outsiders may find difficult to understand. Perhaps this is one of the defining characteristics of Mediterranean cities. We are constantly being told that cities are defined by their borders. But ports know better. A port is defined by what arrives. And by what leaves.
Today, millions of people pass through Napoli without necessarily noticing the small details that reveal this shared history. They see a castle. They photograph the towers. They walk through the triumphal arch. They admire the architecture. But I always look for those familiar heraldic symbols. The red and gold. The bars. The signs of a political world that disappeared centuries ago but left its fingerprints in stone. And when I see them, I think of Barcelona. Not necessarily the Barcelona of today, but the Barcelona of the Mediterranean -the city of sailors, merchants, shipyards, traders and travellers; a city whose history was inseparable from the sea.
That Barcelona and that Napoli understood something that modern Europe sometimes forgets: the Mediterranean has always been a space of connection.
History should not be used to recreate old kingdoms. It should be used to understand how deeply connected we have always been. The Crown of Aragon is history. The Kingdom of Napoli is history. The medieval Mediterranean is history. But Barcelona and Napoli are still here. Still looking towards the same sea. Still functioning as major Mediterranean cities. Still shaped by their ports. Still receiving people from every corner of the world. And perhaps that is the most beautiful legacy of Castel Nuovo. Its stones remind us that cities can share a past without needing to be identical. They can have different languages, traditions and identities and still belong to the same cultural landscape.
The Mediterranean does not erase our differences. It makes them visible. And somehow, it also connects them.
I have visited Castel Nuovo many times. I have walked towards it from the harbour, as I did so many years ago when Napoli was my home. I have walked past its towers without thinking about kings or dynasties. I have simply walked towards the sea. And yet, every time I return to its façade, I am reminded of how quickly human life passes. The stones remain. The towers remain. The sea remains. The flags and coats of arms have outlived the people who ordered them to be carved. The kingdoms disappeared. The kings disappeared. The political borders changed. And we are still here, walking along the same Mediterranean shore.
Perhaps this is what the Mediterranean teaches us best. We are temporary. The sea is not.
Castel Nuovo has stood beside the harbour for centuries, watching generations come and go. I was once a young woman from Barcelona arriving in Napoli. Today I return in memory, older, carrying photographs, stories and a little more history. And when I see those red and golden bars carved into the stone, I don't see a forgotten political empire. I see a connection. Between Napoli and Barcelona. Between past and present. Between two great Mediterranean ports. And between all of us who, in one way or another, have learned to live looking towards the same sea.
Tempus fugit. The castle remains. The Mediterranean remains. And we keep walking.
More information: Ruins & Remnants
Alfons, prince among kings, built this fortress.
.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment