Wednesday 14 February 2018

THE BEANS IN SAN FRANCISCO: WE ARE THE DREAM

Cupid, Roman God of Love
Today is Saint Valentine. Saint Valentine, officially Saint Valentine of Rome, is a widely recognized 3rd-century Roman saint commemorated on February 14 and since the High Middle Ages is associated with a tradition of courtly love.

All that is reliably known of the saint commemorated on February 14 is his name and that he was martyred and buried at a cemetery on the Via Flaminia close to the Ponte Milvio to the north of Rome on that day. It is uncertain whether St. Valentine is two different Saints. Several different martyrologies have been added to later hagiographies that are unreliable.

The Roman Catholic Church continues to recognize him as a saint, listing him as such in the February 14 entry in the Roman Martyrology, and authorizing liturgical veneration of him on February 14 in any place where that day is not devoted to some other obligatory celebration in accordance with the rule that on such a day the Mass may be that of any saint listed in the Martyrology for that day. 

Saint Valentine is commemorated in the Anglican Communion, as well as in Lutheranism. February 14 The Lutheran Service Book, with its penchant for the old Roman calendar, commemorates Valentine on this date. 

More information: History.com

The Beans have just arrived to the Hotel Palace in San Francisco where they're going to stay during their visit. For the moment, they're going to rest a little and take enough force to continue their visit in this wonderful side of California

Old memories of The Grandma with Janis Joplin
The Grandma has decided to visit Vesuvio Café, a long-time city favourite, place that has welcomed authors, musicians, artists and other free spirits through its doors since 1948, artists like Janis Joplin, someone who The Grandma adores. Drawn to the Beat movement, and later to psychedelic rock, Janis Joplin was just another patron who loved to hang out and chill behind its doors. 

More information: San Francisco Travel

Some members of the family are remembering their firsts dates, something very special in a day like today, meanwhile The Grandma is evokating the past again and thinking strongly, that French is the most beautiful language to sing love songs.

Manuel & Cristina Bean
I remember my first date with Cristina. We met in a fantastic restaurant in the downtown and I was waiting for her very nervous. Suddently, Cristina appeared. It was like a dream. She wore a beautiful long white dress -she seemed a bride- and all stopped. Time stopped. World stopped. The waiter stopped. It was an incredible sensation. I was flying. A big scream returned me to the real world. It was a Cristina's scream. Her dress had become red and she was angry. The waiter had fallen over her and the Rioja wine finished on her beautiful dress.

I don't remember a lot about that day. I only remember that Manuel had asked for me a date thousands of times. He was very heavy, very persistent. At the end, I accepted and I wore the most beautiful dress I found inside my wardrove. I was a little nervous but I kept calm when I saw him, just before that waiter fell over me. We had dinner. At the beginning, it was a little uncomfortable to wear that red wine dress but finally, I only had eyes for Manuel.
It was like a dream. Since that moment, he is my Cari.


I was visiting another little town in Denmark. Denmark is a wonderful country full of beautiful tales and nice people. I was travelling with some friends and we decided to visit a little church. When we entered in the religious place, an intensive light focused on him. Antonio was there, at the end of the central corridor, with the Holy Bible in his hands, reading Apostle John. I remember his words: 'And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth' (1 John 5:6). It was like a dream. Since that moment, I knew I wanted to stay the rest of my life with that handsome man, although I realized it wasn't going to be easy to share my life with a Protestant preacher. I'm Portuguese. I'm deeply Catholic, but as Apostle John says: 'The Spirit is the Truth'.

It was another day in the church. There's an enourmous crisis of faith in European citizens nowadays and Danish people aren't an exception. There weren't a lot of people in my little chappel but suddenly, the door opened and Ana appeared rounded by a sacred light. She was like an angel, a God's revelation. She was a God's present. I knew it immediately.
It was like a dream. Since that moment, I realized I could follow the paths of God in different ways, it wasn't necessary to explain the God's words inside an empty church. I must go out and explain them around the world, but I wasn't going to do it alone: I wanted to share the rest of my life with Ana. She's a God's blessing.


I'm a professional football player and although I'm French, I'm a great fan of Real Madrid, perhaps because one of my favourite players has been Zinedine Zidane. It was the first time I visited the Santiago Bernabeu. I was very lucky because I was going to watch a derby: Real Madrid against Futbol Club Barcelona. I was very excited and happy. The anthem sounded and everybody stood up and started to sing and wave their flags. Everybody? No. In one of the corners of the stadium, near me, a beautiful woman looked the scenery with incredible open eyes. It was like a dream. It seemed that she wasn't very comfortable there and I felt a strange feeling of helping her to stay better. I left my seat and walked between dozens of people to arrive to her. I embraced her. I embraced Eli. Since that moment, we share our lives and two wonderful kids. By the way, my team won 2-1. ¡Hala Madrid!

I was scared. Thousands of thousands of people were shouting and singing to cheer their team. All the stadium was covered by an intensive white colour except me. I was very proud of wearing my blue and maroon t-shirt, which symbolize the colours of my football team. Yes. I'm a Futbol Club Barcelona's supporter and I was watching the Derby in the stadium of the rival thanks to a contest that I had won eating a packet of fried potatoes. I was alone and I have to confess that I didn't feel very well. Suddenly, Edgar appeared from the crowd and embraced me.
It was like a dream. Since that moment, we share our lives, our football discussions and I demonstrate everybody that to love someone is not a question of age but heart and feelings. I don't remember the final score. It doesn't matter. Visca el Barça!



We are the dream - Muriel Casals

No comments:

Post a Comment