Sunday 31 January 2021

MARIA DEL MAR BONET & BORJA PENALBA, COMMITMENT

Today, Claire Fontaine and The Grandma have gone to the Teatre Joventut in Hospitalet to listen to one of the most beautiful voices and one of the best guitarists, Maria del Mar Bonet and Borja Penalba.
 
Previously, Claire and The Grandma have read some interesting words written by Maria del Mar Bonet, some words that they want to share in this post:

Coincidentally, we met Borja in Sueca in 2013. He accompanied me on guitar in a recital. I didn't know him and at the beginning he was discovering a person with a beautiful voice, a very good guitarist, an artist with a great creativity. From then on, we could see that our chemistry on stage was growing and weaving a repertoire of songs that were loved and also very well-received by an accomplice and enthusiastic audience.

For a couple of years now, we've been commenting more and more, that we need to record this show on a record.

At the beginning of 2020, he decided to give recitals at the Teatre Micalet in Valencia. But as spring approached, the coronavirus appeared in a brutal way, despite the ups and downs coming from the pandemic, with all that means the uncertainty of being able to celebrate or not the recitals and the consequences so negative that there would be if they closed again home, territorial... finally we could have the dates to be able to sing in the Teatre Micalet of Valencia a few days in a row.

And little by little, too, the idea of ​​recording a live album in that theatre. This fact would have a very important meaning for me, because I had sung a lot there. The first recital was in 1970, and then I was also given an award in 2011.

And a bit beyond that, I must say that since I started stepping on stage, from the Valencian Country they have never stopped asking me to go and sing there. This country that always makes me feel like I'm at home! So this record is deeply dedicated to him.

I am very grateful to the Teatre Micalet for maintaining the proposal to go and sing there despite these moments of such a serious epidemic that we are going through. The Micalet has given us the opportunity, to us and to the public that has come every day, to see that CULTURE IS SAFE.

I would like to tell you about Antonio Sánchez, who has put on his percussion and especially his magic accompanying the songs and recitals that are part of this repertoire. He has been by my side on many recitals and records. He is an endearing and indispensable companion, a great musician with an exquisite sensibility.

From time to time, Yanire, Borja's companion, and Sam, his little girl, came to see us at rehearsals, at the Micalet, in the studio… Then, joy and spring came with their blue eyes.  Thanks! Borja, Antonio and I put a lot of madness and passion into this record. We hope you like it!

Maria del Mar Bonet (extracted from Maria del Mar Bonet amb Borja Penalba)

Jo parlo en la meva llengua,
i com a tal exerceixo amb les meves cançons,
amb la meva de ser, d'escriure,
de promocionar-la, perquè és la meva.

I speak my language,
and as such I exercise with my songs,
with my being, of writing,
of promoting it, because it is mine.

Maria del Mar Bonet

No comments:

Post a Comment