Friday 26 January 2018

MARIA CALLAS & ANA MARIA BEAN, CASTA DIVAS

Maria Callas & Ana Maria Bean leaving The Liceu
Maria Callas was a great influence for me and she also became my best friend. I always remember her with a smile, when I hear her voice.

Imagine:

In 1959, Maria Callas sings in Barcelona at the Gran Teatre del Liceu. I have a ticket for the recital to see her for the first time in my life. I am a huge fan.

Maria Callas is singing Madame Butterfly and I am enjoying the show a lot. During the break, I'm walking through the corridors and I hear her voice from the dressing room. She seems very angry. Her manager tells her that they need an actress because the extra is ill. She looks at me and points to me, she says: 

-Can you help me? I think you are perfect for the role. What's your name? - she says. 

-Ana Maria- I answer. She opens her eyes a lot and shouts: 

-Oh My God!! Just like me, lovely coincidence". 

And that same night I participate in my favourite opera.

It was a great success!!!

Later, that night, she invites me to a cocktail party in the Ritz Hotel. After then, we become very close friends.


An opera begins long before the curtain goes up and ends long after it has come down. It starts in my imagination, it becomes my life, and it stays part of my life long after I've left the opera house. 

Maria Callas

No comments:

Post a Comment