Tuesday 27 September 2016

THE GHOST STATIONS IN THE METRO OF BARCELONA

A ghost station in Barcelona
This morning I have explained some experiences of my visit to the City Hall. One of the reasons of this visit has been searching information about a civil refuge built by civil people during the Spanish Civil War.

Barcelona is full of these refuges although not all of them are  in conditions of being visited. When the war started, the population knew that it could be very difficult to win and the best option was the resistance. Thousands and thousands of people participated in the construction of these refuges but before they were built the population used the metro like a refuge. Some years later, this story repeated in London with The Tube.

Barcelona had got one line that crossed the city from south to north. Nowadays, this line is still working and it's Line Number 1 or Red Line. Other lines were under construction and they were also used like a protection, refuge and a safe place against the bombs.


After the war, the reconstruction of the city and the creation of new suburbs and metro lines changed the old urban planning and nowadays Barcelona has an interesting list of ghost stations, that is to say, some stations where the metro doesn't stop.



What scares me? I kind of believe in ghosts. I believe they can wander around, so that scares me. But the stuff that really scares me are the catastrophic events like my husband or children or my family being harmed, or something like that.   
Annabeth Gish

No comments:

Post a Comment